Former Deputy Head of Mission -Curriculum Vitae
Title & Full Name: Ambassador Baak Valentino Akol Wol,
Current Assignment: Deputy Head of Mission, South Sudan Embassy, Washington D. C., – USA,
Date & Place of Birth: 01/01/1963, Gogrial – South Sudan,
Marital Status: Married,
Languages spoken: Jieng (Dinka), Arabic, English.
- July 2002: Graduated with a Bachelor of Arts (BA) Degree in Housing Studies, Faculty of the Built Environment, School of Urban Development and Policy, South Bank University, London – UK.
- July 1999: Post-Secondary Education, graduated with BTEC Higher National Certificate in Housing Studies, Faculty of the Built Environment, School of Urban Development & Policy, South Bank University, London – UK.
- 1982: Senior Secondary Education, finished/obtained Sudan School Certificate from Bussere Senior Secondary School, Wau Town – South Sudan.
- 1976-1979: Junior Secondary Education, finished/obtained a certificate from Kuajok Junior Secondary School, Kuajok – South Sudan.
- 1970-1976: Primary Education, finished/obtained a leaving certificate from Yei-one Primary School, Yei River District – South Sudan.
Professional Training & Major International Conference Attended
- June 2014: Training Program for South Sudanese Ambassadors, in Ankara, organized by the Turkish Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The program comprised seminars on topics such as “Bilateral Relations with South Sudan”, “General Framework of Turkish Foreign Policy”, “Mediation and Turkey’s Mediation”, “International Security and Peacekeeping Activities”, “Diplomacy and Making of Foreign Policy”, “Staff Management”, “Organization of Multilateral Meetings” and “Negotiation Techniques”.
- May – June 2012: Training on “Induction Course for Newly Appointed Ambassadors of Republic of South Sudan”, held in Mombasa Continental Resort, Kenya, and delivered by the Diplomatic Institute of the Kenyan Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- March 2012: Training on “Ambassadorial Preparation Course”, held in Juba – South Sudan. Organized in partnership between the Government of South Sudan and the US Department of State, and in coordination with the International Executive Service Corps (IESC) & the Graduate School USA.
- June 2010: Training on “Public Service Reform”, held in Juba – South Sudan, and delivered jointly by Adam Smith International & Skills for Southern Sudan, as part of Institutional and Human Resource Development Project, organized by Government of Southern Sudan and Multi Donors Trust Fund.
- Sep – Oct 2008: Training on “International Relations, Diplomacy & Management of Missions”, designed for Principal Liaison Officers of the Government of Southern Sudan (GoSS), and delivered at Clingendael Institute, The Hague – Netherlands.
- Oct – Nov 2007: Training on “International Relations, Diplomatic Practice, Negotiations & Mediation Skills”, delivered at University of South Africa (UNISA) – Pretoria.
- March 2007: Training on “Diplomacy & Consolidation of Peace for Multicultural Nations”, organized by Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) and delivered by the International Institute of Public Policy and Management (INPUMA), University of Malaya, Malaysia – Kuala Lumpur.
- May – June 2005: Training on “Diplomatic Practice & Protocol”, designed for Cadres of Sudan People’s Liberation Movement (SPLM) and serving diplomats of Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Sudan following the signing of Sudan’s Comprehensive Peace Agreement – CPA), and delivered at Clingendael Institute, The Hague – Netherlands.
- December 2011: Participated in “The 4th International High Level Forum on Aid Effectiveness (HLF-4)”, in Busan, South Korea.
- October 2011: South Sudan Team Leader to “The 8th Senior Officials Meeting (SOM) of the Forum on China-Africa Cooperation (FOCAC)”, for the formal admission of South Sudan as a new member of FOCAC, in Hangzhou City, Zhejiang Province, the People’s Republic of China.
Employment History / Work Experience
- March 2015 – now: Serving as “Deputy Head of Mission” in the Embassy of the Republic of South Sudan in Washington D.C., – USA.
- July 2014 – February 2015: Deployed to Washington D.C. to serve as “Chargé d’Affaires ad interim” in the Embassy of the Republic of South Sudan in USA.
- June 2012 – March 2014: Served as “Deputy Head of Mission” in the Embassy of the Republic of South Sudan in Beijing – China.
- March – June 2012: Deployed to Beijing in the Peoples’ Republic of China as “Chargé d’Affaires ad interim” to establish a new Embassy for the Republic of South Sudan, and to prepare for the State Visit of H. E. Gen. Salva Kiir Mayardit, President of the Republic of South Sudan to China during April 2012.
- August 2011: Appointed as “Ambassador – Grade 2” in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs & International Cooperation, in the new Republic of South Sudan, and based at headquarters in Juba.
- 2006 – July 2011: Served routinely as “Acting Undersecretary in the Ministry of Regional Cooperation (MRC)”, Government of Southern Sudan (GoSS), and in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs & International Cooperation respectively, when the sitting Undersecretary is absent from the Ministry on foreign trips, etc.
- 2010 – July 2011: Employed as “Director General for Bilateral Relations” in the Ministry of Regional Cooperation (MRC), Government of Southern Sudan (GoSS), and as “Designated Principal Liaison Officer (PLO) to the Republic of Korea”, based in Juba /non-resident.
- 2006 – 2010: Employed as “Director General for Administration & Finance” in the Ministry of Regional Cooperation (MRC), Government of Southern Sudan (GoSS) – Juba.
- 1992 – 2006: Employed as “Hostel Warden” in the Housing Division of the British Refugee Council (BRC) and in the Refugee Housing Association (RHA) Ltd respectively, and as “Community Initiatives Manager” in Metropolitan Housing Trust (MHT) Group / Partnership Ltd., London – UK.
- 1979 – 1989: Employed as “Senior Social Worker” in the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare, Bahr El-Ghazal Region, Southern Sudan (served in Wau & Gogrial towns respectively). Also served as a Volunteer Teacher during the same period with many Primary schools.
Voluntary Work Undertaken
- 2001 – 2002: “Secretary General of SPLM” Sudan People’s Liberation Movement – UK Chapter. Member of SPLM/SPLA since 1983.
- 1999 – 2001: “Secretary General of SRRA” Sudan Relief & Rehabilitation Association – UK branch (Relief wing of SPLM/SPLA).
- 1990 – 1993: “Chairman of Sudan Youth Association (SYA)” – UK branch (Youth wing of SPLM/SPLA).
- 1990 – 2006: “Secretary General of Gogrial Welfare Society (GWS)”, UK branch (Community organisation).
Hobbies and Other Activities
Reading, Writing, Socializing, Cinema, and Sporting events.