Mr. Garang Diing Akuong,
Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary,
Of The Republic of South Sudan to the United States of America (USA)
Date of birth: 01/01/ 1963
Place of birth: Aweil, Northern Bhar El Ghazal State, Republic of South Sudan
Marital Status: Married
Ambassador Garang Diing Akuong presented his credentials to H. E. President Barack H. Obama on Monday, February 23rd, 2015 as the Ambassador of the Republic of South Sudan to USA. He is also non-resident Ambassador of South Sudan to Canada.
Education: Amb. Garang Diing Akuong has a Master of Arts (MA) Degree in International Studies and Diplomacy from School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), University of London – UK, 2003-2004. Bachelor of Arts (BA) from Faculty of Arts in Alexandria University, Egypt, 1982-1987. Certificate from Bussere Senior Secondary School, Wau Town, South Sudan, 1979-1982. Certificate from Aweil Junior Secondary School, 1976-1979. Certificate from Aweil Primary School, Aweil Town, South Sudan, 1970-1976.
1. Member of National Legislative Assembly, 2010 up to date. While in Parliament, Ambassador Garang Diing Akuong has served as a member of the committee for Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation in the
National Legislative Assembly in Juba – South Sudan, 2013;
2. National Minister of Commerce, Industry & Investment, 2011-2013;
3. National Minister of Energy & Mining 2010-2011;
4. State Minister of Health, 2007-2008, Aweil, Northern Bhar el Ghazal State (NBGS);
5. State Minister of Parliamentary Affairs, 2008 Aweil, Northern Bhar el Ghazal State;
6. State Minister of Agriculture, 2008-2009, Aweil, NBGS;
7. State Minister of Finance, 2009-2010, Aweil, NBGS;
8. First Secretary in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Khartoum – Sudan, 2006-2007.
Other Work Experiences:
1. Member of North-South (of Sudan) Boundary Demarcation Committee, 2006-2007;
2. United Nations Volunteer Specialist (UNVS) with World Food Program (WFP) in Somalia, 1993-1996;
3. Assistant Field Coordinator with Catholic Relief Services (CRS) in Nimule town, South Sudan, 1997-1999;
4. United Nations Volunteer Specialist (UNVS) with World Food Program (WFP) in Ghana, 1999-2003;
5. Secondary School Teacher, Khartoum – Sudan, 1987-1993.
Hobbies: Includes following daily news in multimedia, reading books, watching sporting events, etc.